Saturday, March 01, 2014

The Great Experiment


After living here a few weeks, I’ve come to the conclusion that, in Medellin, finding food that is suitable for an egg and dairy intolerant meat and deep-fry sceptic, who likes her seafood fresh, her fruits without sugar and her coffee black, pure and strong, simply isn’t enough of a challenge for me. I’ve therefore come up with a brilliant plan to make life just a bit more complicated for myself for a while …

Becoming a vegetarian is not something I have ever really considered seriously, and I still don’t find the idea of me giving up pinnakjøt, trout or crayfish neither tempting nor likely. However, over the last few years, I have gradually cut down on my meat intake, and the vegetable portion of my diet has grown correspondingly larger. Partly as a result of my own and E’s food intolerances, I’ve also developed more of an interest in food: what it contains, where it comes from, how to cook it, what it does to us, etc. I’ve also thought quite a bit about eating more vegetarian food. It’s mostly a matter of habit, I think: we’re so used to building our dinners around meat or fish, but there’s no reason we shouldn’t be able to cook tasty food without meat now and then.
I heard about Meatless Mondays a while ago, and thought it was a good idea, but never got around to implementing it. Also, in Norway, where I usually cook for several people, everyone’s food wishes and needs have to be taken into account, limiting the craziness I can get up to (E and H may object to the claim that I avoid craziness in the kitchen, but I honestly do restrain myself …).
At the moment, however, I am cooking just for me. I also have to approach the whole issue of cooking slightly differently, since I don’t have the equipment and ingredients I am used to. It’s the perfect opportunity to explore and experiment. So I made a decision: rather than eating vegetarian – which in practice, because of my egg and dairy intolerance, means vegan – one day a week, I’m going all out, completely vegan for a month. Instead of Meatless Mondays, I’m doing Meatless March.

     Why? Why not.

In part, it’s the challenge, I suppose. I want to see if I can do it, and how hard it will be. Another reason is to force myself to cook vegan food. I always mean to, but as long as nothing’s forcing me, I tend to stick to more familiar approaches. And finally, most importantly, it’s a health thing. I want to see what happens to my rather troublesome stomach if I limit it to pure plant-foods for a while. Missionaries of a vegan diet claim it will solve all your problems and cure all your ills. I have a deep mistrust of all kinds of missionaries, but I am curious, none the less. I love fresh and well-prepared vegetables, I’d really like to learn to cook more bean and lentil based dishes, and Colombia is Heaven when it comes to fruit, all of which provides a good starting point. I already find meat heavy and hard to digest, so I’m pretty sure I’ll be all right without it for a while. I fear the challenge is going to be fish and seafood. I’ve never contemplated giving those up before, and come April I’ll be stuffing my face with whatever I can get my hands on, but the truth is that Medellín is not fish country anyway, and the quality of the seafood found in supermarkets here is not necessarily the best. So … time will show. That’s the point of experiments.

And before any of you consider commenting or writing to tell me this is madness and not to be stupid: I have already been told. Nobody here quite seems to understand why I want to do this, and some are actively trying to get me to “just taste” or “just make a little exception”. However, I am quite determined (for now, at least) to do this, and to do it without exceptions or breaks. Since an important point is to investigate the effects of a purely plant-based diet, there will be NO EXCEPTIONS – that is, if I can help it and don’t buckle before the month is up. I do realize that I am making myself even more difficult in restaurants, and therefore to go out and eat with, but as long as I’m willing to pay full price for a (considerably) reduced dish (or if I could convince people to go to proper restaurants now and then, rather than the chain variety where everything is pre-prepared in some central factory), there should be a salad or something for me. It will give me an excuse (as if I needed one) to try out some new restaurants as well – I already have my eye on a couple of Medellín’s vegetarian ones.

5 comments:

E said...

Go for it! It is lent, after all…

Who considers veganism to be madness these days, anyways? If you come home proclaiming that you can only eat fruit that has died peacefully in its sleep, or indeed that you don’t eat meat anymore because animals are cute, I might go as far as to roll my eyes. (But make sure you eat enough iron and B12. No one wants you going around throwing nutties on the others side of the world. That’s my thing…) Also, if you want to keep it up when you get home, we can always have meet as a side dish for the carnivores. We don’t necessarily have to mix it up with the rest of the dish, do we? I mean, that’s what we do with things like mushrooms, sweet corns, beans and lentils already anyway, isn’t it?

I’ve been doing vegetarian Wednesdays a couple of weeks now. Not that there’s been some sort of master plan behind it, but two makes it a tradition, so it might just have become a thing by now.

Btw, E has never considered what you do in the kitchen to be anywhere near craziness. Sorry…

-S- said...

I do intend to go back to seafood and the occasional dead animal come April, but it looks like there's a good chance the meat-eating will stay minimal. I've given some thought to the possibility of preparing the vegetable parts of dinner separately so that each of us can add whatever protein we want, and I think it would be relatively unproblematic. After all, we have quite a bit of experience dealing with food-eccentricities by now ...
As for the "animals-are-cute" or "sjølvdaud frukt" (is there an English word for this?) arguments, I suspect that's the kind of attitude that would cause me to loose any credibility as a down-to-earth, no-nonsense, capable and pragmatic, unsqueamish, farm-girl kind of person, and possibly to have my Sogning-membership revoked.
I've realized, however, that though my reasons for not eating meat this month are completely secular and only vaguely ideological, I can't quite escape the associations people have with veganism. Maybe my own prejudices are affecting my perceptions, but I feel the word "vegan" makes people look at me differently, like I'm some kind of save-the-planet-neospiritual-hippie-type. A bit like with yoga, which I do purely for exercise, not to discover my inner flame. My newest flatmate (poor guy: he just moved in, and greets me by first offering me a milk shake and then dinner, both of which I decline) just asked me what religion I belong to, that requires me to abstain from animal produce until April 1st...

-S- said...

And btw: I intend to master the Art of Arepa-making before I leave, because I have become completely addicted and don't think I can possibly survive without arepa ever again. I know you're no big fan of maize, and the best arepas are made of chocolo (still kind of maize, but different), which can't be bought (as far as I know) in Norway, but I'm still hoping to convert you, because to me the arepa is the best gluten (and egg and dairy) free bread/lefse-like alternative out there.

E said...

You're right, I'm not a big fan of maize. However, the arepa-thingies you've made this far has been quite edible.

Z said...

Jeg bør følge bedre med! Her er det bloggoppdateringer jeg aldri har lest. Skam på meg!

Forresten kan jeg spise kjøtt for alle. Jeg lever nesten bare av kjøtt (og Sv. sine bakemaskinbrød, og frukt og grønt og potet av og til - hm... kanskje det ikke bare er kjøtt likevel, men masse kjøtt i det minste).